Thursday, January 19, 2012
Slush, sleet and power outages across Hood River County have caused an array of closures and cancelations. As of 8:30 a.m. Thursday, here are major closures:
All schools in Hood River County School District are closed for the day due to a power outage.
White Salmon, Lyle, Dufur, North Wascho County and Mosier schools are also closed for the day.
OCDC Odell Head Start is on a two hour delay.
Mid-Columbia Senior Center and Meals on Wheels is closed.
Hood River Valley High School Extended Application Night is cancelled.
Pine Grove Head Start is closed.
ODOT is reporting icy conditions eastbound on I-84 near The Dalles, which has caused numerous crashes. There is extensive congestion in the area. Motorists are urged to avoid the area until temperatures warm. Eastbound from Hood River to The Dalles, chains are required on vehicles over 10,000 pounds or on vehicles pulling trailers. Eastbound from milepost 114, about the John Day River bridge, chains are required on all vehicles.
More like this story
- Late night total bridge closure Tuesday, Oct. 24
- Photos from the Oct. 18 Underwood Fruit fire
- Death notice for Oct. 21 edition: Marc Wixman
- Service announcements for Oct. 21 edition: George Watanabe, Heidi Hansberger and Harrison Peters
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge