Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Looking for something rewarding to do this weekend?
Check out the mat action at Hood River Valley High School, as the Eagles host the Hood River Elks Memorial tournament all day Saturday at Vannet Court, against some of the top teams in the state, including The Dalles-Wahtonka and Columbia from White Salmon.
It's as close to a regional athletic event as we've seen yet this school year. And for the Hood River wrestlers, it's both their first competition in a week and an important preparation for the district meet.
A meet this size at the high school campus southwest of town also points to the need to use caution while driving between town and HRVHS, given that there will be plenty of visitors driving roads that are unfamiliar to many - and still snow-encrusted.
Welcome to those wrestlers and families visiting Hood River; here's hoping for a day of spirited competition. (The boys bracket begins at 10 a.m., girls state tournament qualifier at noon. The championship round will begin at approximately 5 p.m.)
Coach Trent Knoll and Athletic Director Keith Bassham know how to stage a wrestling tournament, and no one is looking forward to it more than Hood River's own wrestlers.
For the uninitiated, the event is an excellent opportunity to witness the grand Hood River grappling tradition on center stage.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge