Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Looking for something rewarding to do this weekend?
Check out the mat action at Hood River Valley High School, as the Eagles host the Hood River Elks Memorial tournament all day Saturday at Vannet Court, against some of the top teams in the state, including The Dalles-Wahtonka and Columbia from White Salmon.
It's as close to a regional athletic event as we've seen yet this school year. And for the Hood River wrestlers, it's both their first competition in a week and an important preparation for the district meet.
A meet this size at the high school campus southwest of town also points to the need to use caution while driving between town and HRVHS, given that there will be plenty of visitors driving roads that are unfamiliar to many - and still snow-encrusted.
Welcome to those wrestlers and families visiting Hood River; here's hoping for a day of spirited competition. (The boys bracket begins at 10 a.m., girls state tournament qualifier at noon. The championship round will begin at approximately 5 p.m.)
Coach Trent Knoll and Athletic Director Keith Bassham know how to stage a wrestling tournament, and no one is looking forward to it more than Hood River's own wrestlers.
For the uninitiated, the event is an excellent opportunity to witness the grand Hood River grappling tradition on center stage.
More like this story
- Two escape from state corrections
- Sports briefs for Aug. 16
- Lost boy found safe near Parkdale
- YESTERYEARS: Hottest August day ever recorded in 1977
- Design for a legacy
- Pick of the Week: Jim Lommasson at CCA
- The mural and Nate Chavez
- Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 edition
- City of Hood River: Mayor asks Rep. Walden to ‘join our collective call’ on energy
- Power line fire doused Monday
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge