Saturday, July 7, 2012
An 80-year-old Auburn, Wash., man is in serious condition after he was hit by a car on West Cascade Avenue Tuesday.
Wolfram Noack of Auburn was walking south across the road at about 4 p.m. when he was hit by the car driven by Rita Dorzab of Hood River.
Noack suffered apparent head and upper body injuries in the accident, which happened in the 2500 block of West Cascade. He was transported by LifeFlight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, where he remained as of press time Friday.
Witnesses said Dorzab was traveling about 25 mph in the 35-mph zone, according to Chief Neal Holste of Hood River Police. Holste said no citations are planned at this time.
Holste said Noack had been at CenterPointe Bank with a female companion and he told her he was going to walk to Wells Fargo Bank, located across West Cascade inside Safeway.
“She told him not to cross; the intersection was too busy; but he went ahead and did it,” Holste said. The closest designated crosswalk is five blocks east at 20th Street.
According to witnesses, Noack was in the middle of the street when he appeared to see a car approaching, and to speed up his gait, when he was hit.
The investigation was handled by officers Anthony Fraser and Andy Rau. Hood River Fire Department personnel attended to Noack, who was placed on a gurney and braced to prevent further neck or spinal injury, and taken to LifeFlight via ambulance. Fire department chaplain Jeff Mueller also responded.
More like this story
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge