Saturday, July 7, 2012
An 80-year-old Auburn, Wash., man is in serious condition after he was hit by a car on West Cascade Avenue Tuesday.
Wolfram Noack of Auburn was walking south across the road at about 4 p.m. when he was hit by the car driven by Rita Dorzab of Hood River.
Noack suffered apparent head and upper body injuries in the accident, which happened in the 2500 block of West Cascade. He was transported by LifeFlight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, where he remained as of press time Friday.
Witnesses said Dorzab was traveling about 25 mph in the 35-mph zone, according to Chief Neal Holste of Hood River Police. Holste said no citations are planned at this time.
Holste said Noack had been at CenterPointe Bank with a female companion and he told her he was going to walk to Wells Fargo Bank, located across West Cascade inside Safeway.
“She told him not to cross; the intersection was too busy; but he went ahead and did it,” Holste said. The closest designated crosswalk is five blocks east at 20th Street.
According to witnesses, Noack was in the middle of the street when he appeared to see a car approaching, and to speed up his gait, when he was hit.
The investigation was handled by officers Anthony Fraser and Andy Rau. Hood River Fire Department personnel attended to Noack, who was placed on a gurney and braced to prevent further neck or spinal injury, and taken to LifeFlight via ambulance. Fire department chaplain Jeff Mueller also responded.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge