Saturday, July 14, 2012
Finalists for the Chasing The Light juried photography competition have been selected. Their work will be featured at the Columbia Art Gallery’s Chasing The Light show opening Friday, Aug. 3 in Hood River.
In total, 77 photographers from the Gorge area and beyond submitted nearly 400 images for the contest.
“The quality of the work submitted was excellent,” said show curator Peter Marbach. “It was a challenge for Pro Photo staff to narrow it down to the final 40 images. This will be an outstanding show.”
The top three winners will be announced at the show opening, Aug. 3 starting at 6 p.m. at CAG in downtown Hood River. Friends of the Columbia Gorge is sponsoring the show.
Pro Photo Supply in Portland sponsored the contest. Jon Combs, Marketing Manager for Pro Photo, expected that the contest would attract high quality entries.
“It has been very exciting seeing the images as they have come in, ”said Combs. “Really, is there any better subject matter for photography anywhere, in terms of the natural landscape? If you love the Gorge, you will love this show.”
Marbach credits the tremendous response to the quality of the awards and vacation stay prizes offered by Pro Photo Supply, Columbia Cliff Villas, Sakura Ridge Lodge, and Brickhaven Bed and Breakfast.
Finalists include Terry Alford, Carla Axtman, Paloma Ayala, Darlissa Black. Beth Buglione, Brian Chambers, Stephen Datnoff, Blaine Franger, Andrew Halliburton, Richard Hallman, Scott Hoyle, Lance Koudele, Daryl Lloyd, Miles Morgan, Gary Randall, Lauri Streaker, Ray Terrill, Tula Top, Darrell Wyatt, and Greg Zuck.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge