Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Hood River was host to two world-class competitions over the weekend. The sixth-annual Kiteboarding-4-Cancer fundraiser and endurance race (above) brought close to 200 registered competitors and several hundred spectators to the Hood River Event Site to raise money and awareness for cancer survivorship programs. The picture above shows volunteer lap-counters sitting on the Event Site jetty as competitors race from one buoy to the next. The contest was a six-hour endurance race where the person to complete the most laps wins. Stevenson resident Grom Gormley won the event for the second year in a row with a total of 45 laps. Hood River’s Jan Boersma was second overall with 38 laps, followed by Scott Edgar with 32. The top women were Rachael Callahan with 26 laps and Carol Bolstad with 23. The top under-18 finisher was Derek Fromm with 30 laps.
On the same two days, one of the top mountain bike races in the nation was happening not far away on the forested trails between Kingsley Reservoir and Post Canyon. Hood River Enduro brought close to 200 registered participants, including many of the top enduro racers in the country.
The picture at left is racer Cody Phillips rounding a corner near the bottom of stage four of the two-day, six-stage event. Complete results for the race were not available as of press time Tuesday morning due to a timing mixup. Check the July 21 Hood River News for updates.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge