Saturday, July 21, 2012
While it might not be time for the Olympic Olympics just yet, Hood River has a pair of athletes competing at the Junior Olympics National Championships next week.
Incoming Hood River Valley High School freshman Parker Kennedy and sophomore Patrick Crompton both qualified for the USA Track and Field. Junior Olympics National Championships to be held July 23-29 in Baltimore, Md.
Kennedy qualified in the decathlon, while Crompton hit a qualifying mark in the pole vault.
Kennedy scored 5,111 points in the decathlon at a regional qualifying event in Bend earlier this month. The result was nine points over the qualifying mark and good for a fourth-place finish.
The regional qualifier was just the second time he had attempted the full decathlon.
At the same event, Crompton cleared 12 feet, 6 inches in the pole vault to place second and qualify for the Jr. Olympics but will not be traveling to Baltimore.
After competing in many of the decathlon events this year, Kennedy said encouragement from coaches such as Steve Wrye, Donnie Herneisen and Shawn Meyle led him to give the decathlon a try.
Kennedy is coming off a middle school season where he helped the Hood River MS track and field team to a state title and was named MVP of the middle school district meet.
“We’ll see how this year goes and if I’m on the right pace next year try and do something big and work as hard as a I can at it,” Kennedy said of his goals for the decathlon.
The decathalon consists of 10 events over a series of two days. Typical decathlon events include long jump, shot put, high jump, discus, pole vault, javelin and four running events.
More like this story
- HRV soph Parker Kennedy wins USATF state, regional decathlons
- HRV grad and track athlete Parker Kennedy recovering from freak javelin accident at USATF meet in Beaverton
- Barajas heading to Junior Olympic Nationals
- Track clinic attracts top national names
- HRV track and field wins first-ever CRC title at District Championships
- Death announcements for Aug. 24: Elizabeth Jordan and Juanita Macdougall
- Public Records: Marriage permits, July 2016
- Pet of the Week: JellyBean is still waiting for his forever family
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- Cemetery Tales tickets go on sale
- Concerts at Timberline, Oneonta tunnel part of 10-concert Noack series
- Parks District narrows director search to two
- Talking about bags
- Heat advisory and fire alerts form double dose of late-August caution
- ‘Un Dia de Teatro’ — a free dance, music, theater event
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge