Saturday, July 21, 2012
Navy Seaman Jorge A. Ceja, a 2008 graduate of Hood River Valley High School, is currently deployed.
Ceja, along with fellow Sailors and Marines aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) commemorated the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Midway with a ceremony, a fitting tribute given the ship’s close ties to the battle.
The previous USS Enterprise (CV 6) and her wing played a vital role in the pivotal World War II battle that took place June 4-7, 1942. The Battle of Midway is regarded as the turning point in the war of the Pacific. Alongside three other carriers the USS Enterprise and the U.S. Strike Forces defeated the Imperial Japanese navy carrier task force under the direction of commander in chief of the Japanese Combined Fleet, Adm. Yamamoto. USS Enterprise and her wing were credited with sinking three of the four Japanese carriers that day at Midway.
Ceja joined the Navy in July 2008.
As part of the commemoration, Enterprise’s First Class Petty Officers performed a wreath-laying ceremony on the fantail aboard the ship. The fallen Sailors and Marines were also honored with a 21-gun salute and the sounding of “Taps.”
Aircraft assigned to CVW-1 performed a missing-man flyover formation to commemorate the aviators who lost during the battle.
Throughout the course of the day Enterprise went on to announce a historical timeline recounting the events of the Battle of Midway over the ship’s announcing system.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge