Saturday, July 21, 2012
Navy Seaman Jorge A. Ceja, a 2008 graduate of Hood River Valley High School, is currently deployed.
Ceja, along with fellow Sailors and Marines aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) commemorated the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Midway with a ceremony, a fitting tribute given the ship’s close ties to the battle.
The previous USS Enterprise (CV 6) and her wing played a vital role in the pivotal World War II battle that took place June 4-7, 1942. The Battle of Midway is regarded as the turning point in the war of the Pacific. Alongside three other carriers the USS Enterprise and the U.S. Strike Forces defeated the Imperial Japanese navy carrier task force under the direction of commander in chief of the Japanese Combined Fleet, Adm. Yamamoto. USS Enterprise and her wing were credited with sinking three of the four Japanese carriers that day at Midway.
Ceja joined the Navy in July 2008.
As part of the commemoration, Enterprise’s First Class Petty Officers performed a wreath-laying ceremony on the fantail aboard the ship. The fallen Sailors and Marines were also honored with a 21-gun salute and the sounding of “Taps.”
Aircraft assigned to CVW-1 performed a missing-man flyover formation to commemorate the aviators who lost during the battle.
Throughout the course of the day Enterprise went on to announce a historical timeline recounting the events of the Battle of Midway over the ship’s announcing system.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge