Saturday, June 30, 2012
Hood River Valley Swim Team standout Scott Bergstrom traveled to Omaha, Neb., this week to compete in the USA Swimming Olympic Trials. Bergstrom qualified for the trials in the 100 meter butterfly after posting a time standard earlier this month at a last-chance meet.
Bergstrom finished just shy of his personal best in the event, which put him at 113th overall.
Back home, HRVST practice was stopped so Bergstrom’s teammates could watch a live feed of his race.
“This has been a great experience for us,” said HRVST coach Shelly Rawding. “Athletes and coaches are treated like royalty, and being next to the swimmers who are going to the Olympics; seeing how they prepare for their races is a great learning expereince.”
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 16
- Gorge Happiness Month: Mandy Kurfurst uses ‘The Daily Three’ to center herself
- Police Log, Nov. 27 to Dec. 10
- ‘Operation Christmas Child’ sets collection record for 2017 campaign
- FutureBus visits Cascade Locks Elementary
- History Museum of Hood River County hosts open house Saturday
- Pet of the Week: Gus the Yorkie is ‘sweetest in town’
- Kegler's Corner: Rod Pratt Bowls Bigly
- ‘Loving Vincent’ Dec. 20 at CCA
- How to help during the holidays