Wednesday, May 2, 2012
The 61st Epsilon Sigma Alpha Oregon State Convention was held in Sun River April 20-22. Nine members from local chapter Delta Kappa and one guest attended the convention.
Delta Kappa was honored for its 45 years of service to ESA. When awards were presented, Delta Kappa took third place in Rushing and third place for Outstanding Chapter.
Debbie Sanguras received a gift for being Delta Kappa’s Outstanding Member. Sanguras will also be next year’s State Chaplain.
At the Sunday Memorial Service, Charlotte DeHart gave a presentation for deceased member Pennie Wiley.
With convention over, Delta Kappa is staying busy, working on a local St. Jude Research Hospital Radiothon June 7-8. A tag sale will be held May 16 and the annual Home Tour is set for September.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge