Wednesday, May 2, 2012
The caricatures were costumed in grandiose, along with about 100 others of varying outlandishness, for Mt. Hood Meadows’ sixth annual Sno-Kona Pond Skim. The Hawaiian-themed event pairs the challenge of skiing or snowboarding across a 90-foot stretch of frigid water with the audacity to wear the most attention-grabbing outfit possible.
And although it’s all fun and games, the grand prize is a serious score: A trip for two to Hawaii from All About Hawaii.
Taking the cake this year was Tory Robinson, who succeeded in impressing the judges with a most unexpected act: Dressed as James Bond, Robinson skimmed across the pond with ease, while taking aim and firing away at two nemeses holding a woman captive on the shore. After skidding to a stop in front of the rescued mistress, Bond got down on one knee, pulled out a ring and proposed.
The proposal was real, and Robinson and Sabrina LaGood left the crowd in genuinely ecstatic embrace.
It appears the two will have a honeymoon (or perhaps wedding) in Hawaii.
Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area announced this week that its final days of operation for the season will be May 5 and 6, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill