Wednesday, May 2, 2012
The caricatures were costumed in grandiose, along with about 100 others of varying outlandishness, for Mt. Hood Meadows’ sixth annual Sno-Kona Pond Skim. The Hawaiian-themed event pairs the challenge of skiing or snowboarding across a 90-foot stretch of frigid water with the audacity to wear the most attention-grabbing outfit possible.
And although it’s all fun and games, the grand prize is a serious score: A trip for two to Hawaii from All About Hawaii.
Taking the cake this year was Tory Robinson, who succeeded in impressing the judges with a most unexpected act: Dressed as James Bond, Robinson skimmed across the pond with ease, while taking aim and firing away at two nemeses holding a woman captive on the shore. After skidding to a stop in front of the rescued mistress, Bond got down on one knee, pulled out a ring and proposed.
The proposal was real, and Robinson and Sabrina LaGood left the crowd in genuinely ecstatic embrace.
It appears the two will have a honeymoon (or perhaps wedding) in Hawaii.
Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area announced this week that its final days of operation for the season will be May 5 and 6, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge