Wednesday, May 2, 2012
The caricatures were costumed in grandiose, along with about 100 others of varying outlandishness, for Mt. Hood Meadows’ sixth annual Sno-Kona Pond Skim. The Hawaiian-themed event pairs the challenge of skiing or snowboarding across a 90-foot stretch of frigid water with the audacity to wear the most attention-grabbing outfit possible.
And although it’s all fun and games, the grand prize is a serious score: A trip for two to Hawaii from All About Hawaii.
Taking the cake this year was Tory Robinson, who succeeded in impressing the judges with a most unexpected act: Dressed as James Bond, Robinson skimmed across the pond with ease, while taking aim and firing away at two nemeses holding a woman captive on the shore. After skidding to a stop in front of the rescued mistress, Bond got down on one knee, pulled out a ring and proposed.
The proposal was real, and Robinson and Sabrina LaGood left the crowd in genuinely ecstatic embrace.
It appears the two will have a honeymoon (or perhaps wedding) in Hawaii.
Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area announced this week that its final days of operation for the season will be May 5 and 6, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge