Saturday, May 5, 2012
Pink In the Gorge, a fundraiser for women dealing with breast cancer, happens June 3 at Gorge-ous Weddings, near Stevenson, Wash.
The 2-5 p.m. “afternoon of thriving” will feature speakers, a fashion show, music by Pink Phoenix, a wine tasting with Maryhill Winery and a chocolate fountain, according to organizer Deb Hart, who owns a retreat center near Wamic called The Retreat at Pine Hollow.
The organizations Pink Lemonade of Southwest Washington and Breast Friends will also be represented.
Several years ago Hart lost her son, Casey, 22, to cancer and contracted breast cancer a few months later. In her grieving, she gained help from viewing a film called “Motherland,” which studies “healing trips” for women whose children have died.
The film mentioned the group “Project Grace,” which organizes healing trips, and Hart signed up for an all-women catamaran trip that changed her life.
“When I came back, I knew my next step was to buy a house, renovate it and help women thrive beyond breast cancer,” Hart said. She and her husband purchased a five-bedroom house, and renovated it. There is room for eight patients who come on Friday and leave on Sunday at noon.
Curriculum for the retreats is “Thriving Beyond Breast Cancer,” by Sharon Henisen, co-founder of Breast Friends. Participants will also go on a hike, do art and baking and other activities.
“But more than anything we just do sharing,” Hart said.
For details on the retreats ($150-$250 sliding scale for lodging, meals and curriculum) visit www.inspirationaldebhart.
The retreats are held six times a year and are also listed at www.breastfriends.org.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge