Saturday, May 5, 2012
The Hood River Valley High School girls tennis team has been busy traveling around the state during the home stretch of its season. In recent action, the squad came away as champions at the La Salle Tournament, followed by a tough doubleheader in central Oregon against Bend and Summit. This week the girls traveled to Hermiston for a final contest before the district tournament May 7-8 in Sunriver.
“Emilee Ziegner and Emily Roberts are playing great together and make a strong number-one doubles team,” said coach Leslie Kerr. “We’re hoping they’ll do well at districts together,”
Kerr also noted the sophomore duo of Naomi Greenwald and Ellie Webb, who have had success together this season, including 9-2 and 11-0 victories at the La Salle tournament.
At top singles slot, Kerr has high hopes for Frances Burns, who has had strong performances throughout the season.
On Wednesday this week the squad lost a tough match to Hermiston, but the 2-6 defeat wasn’t without its bright spots. Petra Knapp and Miranda Starr won at third and fourth singles.
More like this story
- Death notices for May 4: Jerry Osbourn, Edward Adams, and John Phillips
- Service announcement for May 4: Audrey Thornton
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge