Saturday, May 5, 2012
The Hood River Valley High School girls tennis team has been busy traveling around the state during the home stretch of its season. In recent action, the squad came away as champions at the La Salle Tournament, followed by a tough doubleheader in central Oregon against Bend and Summit. This week the girls traveled to Hermiston for a final contest before the district tournament May 7-8 in Sunriver.
“Emilee Ziegner and Emily Roberts are playing great together and make a strong number-one doubles team,” said coach Leslie Kerr. “We’re hoping they’ll do well at districts together,”
Kerr also noted the sophomore duo of Naomi Greenwald and Ellie Webb, who have had success together this season, including 9-2 and 11-0 victories at the La Salle tournament.
At top singles slot, Kerr has high hopes for Frances Burns, who has had strong performances throughout the season.
On Wednesday this week the squad lost a tough match to Hermiston, but the 2-6 defeat wasn’t without its bright spots. Petra Knapp and Miranda Starr won at third and fourth singles.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge