Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Two Hood River Valley High School juniors have once again proven their prowess in the fine art of debate. Their category? Public forum.
Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding brought home gold from the OSAA Speech State Championships April 19-21, adding to a second recent win which advanced them to nationals.
The duo will now go on to compete in Indianapolis, Ind., in June against 200 teams from across the nation in an eight-day event. A $20,000 scholarship awaits the national winners.
Bofferding and Patterson are now seeking community support to attend their nationals competition. Kathryn Yasui, HRVHS debate co-coach, is assisting in collecting the funding.
“We only have about $500 of the $4,800 needed to attend,” said Yasui.
Any individual or organization wishing to support the pair may contact Yasui at 541-386-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge