Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Two Hood River Valley High School juniors have once again proven their prowess in the fine art of debate. Their category? Public forum.
Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding brought home gold from the OSAA Speech State Championships April 19-21, adding to a second recent win which advanced them to nationals.
The duo will now go on to compete in Indianapolis, Ind., in June against 200 teams from across the nation in an eight-day event. A $20,000 scholarship awaits the national winners.
Bofferding and Patterson are now seeking community support to attend their nationals competition. Kathryn Yasui, HRVHS debate co-coach, is assisting in collecting the funding.
“We only have about $500 of the $4,800 needed to attend,” said Yasui.
Any individual or organization wishing to support the pair may contact Yasui at 541-386-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge