Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Two Hood River Valley High School juniors have once again proven their prowess in the fine art of debate. Their category? Public forum.
Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding brought home gold from the OSAA Speech State Championships April 19-21, adding to a second recent win which advanced them to nationals.
The duo will now go on to compete in Indianapolis, Ind., in June against 200 teams from across the nation in an eight-day event. A $20,000 scholarship awaits the national winners.
Bofferding and Patterson are now seeking community support to attend their nationals competition. Kathryn Yasui, HRVHS debate co-coach, is assisting in collecting the funding.
“We only have about $500 of the $4,800 needed to attend,” said Yasui.
Any individual or organization wishing to support the pair may contact Yasui at 541-386-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge