Saturday, May 19, 2012
Hood River Valley High School girls golf team traveled to Corvallis this week for the 2012 OSAA 5A state golf championships at Trysting Tree Golf Club. The two-day tournament saw central Oregon powerhouses Summit and Bend finishing first and second with overall scores of 671 and 699 respectively. The Eagles, having qualified for the tournament as a team with a second place finish at last week’s district tournament, came in closer to the bottom of the leader board, at ninth place, with a two-day total of 891.
“The weather was nearly perfect; with little wind and temperatures staying around 70,” said Coach Dave Waller. “We played better on the second day, cutting 25 strokes off our first-day score. Alisha Hay had a very good second day; shooting a 46 on the back-nine, which we played first. It is the more difficult of the nines. We did well, with only a couple of minor disasters keeping us from shooting a very good round. Gabriella Whitehead shot her best completive round on Tuesday, and Korey Cimock had a solid first day to help out the team. Tori Grace hung in there and came back with a good day after having a rough opening.”
Of the five girls representing Hood River at the tournament, only Grace is a senior. Jessica Wagner is a junior and Hay, Cimock and Whitehead are all sophomores.
Representing the HRVHS boys golf team at the state tournament was sophomore Torey Schmidt, who traveled to Emerald Valley Golf Club in Creswell for two days of 5A action. Schmidt shot 18 over par on the first round and 16 over on the second to finish in a three-way tie for 40th place with a total score of 178.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge