Saturday, May 19, 2012
Hood River Valley High School girls golf team traveled to Corvallis this week for the 2012 OSAA 5A state golf championships at Trysting Tree Golf Club. The two-day tournament saw central Oregon powerhouses Summit and Bend finishing first and second with overall scores of 671 and 699 respectively. The Eagles, having qualified for the tournament as a team with a second place finish at last week’s district tournament, came in closer to the bottom of the leader board, at ninth place, with a two-day total of 891.
“The weather was nearly perfect; with little wind and temperatures staying around 70,” said Coach Dave Waller. “We played better on the second day, cutting 25 strokes off our first-day score. Alisha Hay had a very good second day; shooting a 46 on the back-nine, which we played first. It is the more difficult of the nines. We did well, with only a couple of minor disasters keeping us from shooting a very good round. Gabriella Whitehead shot her best completive round on Tuesday, and Korey Cimock had a solid first day to help out the team. Tori Grace hung in there and came back with a good day after having a rough opening.”
Of the five girls representing Hood River at the tournament, only Grace is a senior. Jessica Wagner is a junior and Hay, Cimock and Whitehead are all sophomores.
Representing the HRVHS boys golf team at the state tournament was sophomore Torey Schmidt, who traveled to Emerald Valley Golf Club in Creswell for two days of 5A action. Schmidt shot 18 over par on the first round and 16 over on the second to finish in a three-way tie for 40th place with a total score of 178.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge