Saturday, May 26, 2012
MacRae Wylde edged out Bruce Peterson Saturday afternoon to pick up the first win on the season in the annual Gorge Cup windsurfing race series. With 21 racers ages 15-68 in attendance at the early-season race, held at the Hood River Event Site, light wind and cold water tested the dedication of the entrants. By early afternoon, wind picked up enough to get in four slalom heats, allowing racers to toss out their lowest time and keep their best three.
Final results put Wylde in front of Peterson and Jac LeRoux (three names you’ll see a lot more of as the season progresses), with 15-year-old Fiona Wylde in fourth ahead of Andreas Macke rounding out the top five.
The Cup welcomed four new racers to the series and is encouraging anyone interested in the friendly competition to join the next race June 9. For more information, visit www.gorge.cup.com.
The Gorge Cup is sponsored by Sailworks, US Bank, Big Winds, Chinook, Dakine, Epic Sessions, Full Sail Brewing, Maui Sails, ProMotion Wetsuits, CGWA, GorgeNet and iWindsurf.
Top five finishers:
- MacRae Wylde
- Bruce Peterson
- Jac LeRoux
- Fiona Wylde
- Andreas Macke
More like this story
- Reader Photos: Enjoying the Eclipse
- Eclipse Scenes
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge