Saturday, May 26, 2012
MacRae Wylde edged out Bruce Peterson Saturday afternoon to pick up the first win on the season in the annual Gorge Cup windsurfing race series. With 21 racers ages 15-68 in attendance at the early-season race, held at the Hood River Event Site, light wind and cold water tested the dedication of the entrants. By early afternoon, wind picked up enough to get in four slalom heats, allowing racers to toss out their lowest time and keep their best three.
Final results put Wylde in front of Peterson and Jac LeRoux (three names you’ll see a lot more of as the season progresses), with 15-year-old Fiona Wylde in fourth ahead of Andreas Macke rounding out the top five.
The Cup welcomed four new racers to the series and is encouraging anyone interested in the friendly competition to join the next race June 9. For more information, visit www.gorge.cup.com.
The Gorge Cup is sponsored by Sailworks, US Bank, Big Winds, Chinook, Dakine, Epic Sessions, Full Sail Brewing, Maui Sails, ProMotion Wetsuits, CGWA, GorgeNet and iWindsurf.
Top five finishers:
- MacRae Wylde
- Bruce Peterson
- Jac LeRoux
- Fiona Wylde
- Andreas Macke
More like this story
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge