Saturday, May 26, 2012
MacRae Wylde edged out Bruce Peterson Saturday afternoon to pick up the first win on the season in the annual Gorge Cup windsurfing race series. With 21 racers ages 15-68 in attendance at the early-season race, held at the Hood River Event Site, light wind and cold water tested the dedication of the entrants. By early afternoon, wind picked up enough to get in four slalom heats, allowing racers to toss out their lowest time and keep their best three.
Final results put Wylde in front of Peterson and Jac LeRoux (three names you’ll see a lot more of as the season progresses), with 15-year-old Fiona Wylde in fourth ahead of Andreas Macke rounding out the top five.
The Cup welcomed four new racers to the series and is encouraging anyone interested in the friendly competition to join the next race June 9. For more information, visit www.gorge.cup.com.
The Gorge Cup is sponsored by Sailworks, US Bank, Big Winds, Chinook, Dakine, Epic Sessions, Full Sail Brewing, Maui Sails, ProMotion Wetsuits, CGWA, GorgeNet and iWindsurf.
Top five finishers:
- MacRae Wylde
- Bruce Peterson
- Jac LeRoux
- Fiona Wylde
- Andreas Macke
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge