Saturday, May 26, 2012
MacRae Wylde edged out Bruce Peterson Saturday afternoon to pick up the first win on the season in the annual Gorge Cup windsurfing race series. With 21 racers ages 15-68 in attendance at the early-season race, held at the Hood River Event Site, light wind and cold water tested the dedication of the entrants. By early afternoon, wind picked up enough to get in four slalom heats, allowing racers to toss out their lowest time and keep their best three.
Final results put Wylde in front of Peterson and Jac LeRoux (three names you’ll see a lot more of as the season progresses), with 15-year-old Fiona Wylde in fourth ahead of Andreas Macke rounding out the top five.
The Cup welcomed four new racers to the series and is encouraging anyone interested in the friendly competition to join the next race June 9. For more information, visit www.gorge.cup.com.
The Gorge Cup is sponsored by Sailworks, US Bank, Big Winds, Chinook, Dakine, Epic Sessions, Full Sail Brewing, Maui Sails, ProMotion Wetsuits, CGWA, GorgeNet and iWindsurf.
Top five finishers:
- MacRae Wylde
- Bruce Peterson
- Jac LeRoux
- Fiona Wylde
- Andreas Macke
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge