Friday, November 2, 2012
The HRVHS water polo team faced a few very tough opponents over the past week, and despite some losses, demonstrated that they intend to become a big presence in the Oregon water polo scene.
Last Thursday, when the team traveled to David Douglas High School, HRVHS coaches Dave Cameron and Kellie Dunn agreed to have them play against a combined varsity/JV squad upon hearing that the David Douglas team did not have enough JV players for a full four-quarter game.
The HRVHS squad lost 16-4, but held up admirably considering the advanced offensive and defensive skills of the David Douglas varsity players.
On Saturday, the team played in a JV tournament in Portland, losing to Beaverton (6-5) and Lake Oswego (8-5) before winning its last game against more familiar opponent Reynolds (12-8). The HRVHS team made a particularly impressive showing against Beaverton High School, maintaining a lead through almost three quarters of the game.
“I am extremely proud of our team for playing so well in this level of competition. I don’t think anyone expected that a brand-new team from a small town like Hood River could give the big schools a run for their money. We really surprised everyone,” said Cameron.
Combined goal statistics for the four games played last week: Arthur Finstad (8), Myles Cameron (8), Connor Dunn (6), Texx Shwiff (2), Trey Schilling (1) and Stan Ocheskey (1).
The goal was defended by Sebastian Marquez, Texx Shwiff and Connor Dunn.
More like this story
- Vandalized sign prompts security precautions at CL School Friday
- Death Notices for Oct. 1: Jack Stone, Jack Stone, Viola Wells, and Gerald Culp
- Service Announcement for Oct. 1: Calvin Peck
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge