Tuesday, November 6, 2012
In a collaborative community partnership, the Hood River County School District representatives will be speaking along with a panel of experts, addressing parent concerns about bullying and technology crimes affecting youth.
The panel will present two free workshops on Nov. 8, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Hood River Middle School in the Auditorium and Nov. 13, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Wy’East Middle School in the Performing Arts Center.
This task force was created in the fall of 2011 as a community response to the rise in technology-related incidents and crimes, as well as bullying.
During the 2010-2011 school year law enforcement, schools and the juvenile department saw an increase in incidents related to technology, specifically involving computers and cell phones.
The school district goal is to teach parents what to look for and how to effectively supervise the use of technology, in order to prevent youth from entering into the criminal justice system for technology related crimes.
Attendees will be presented with information regarding social networking; internet safety; technology related crimes; cyber bullying and cell phone safety. Parents will be given tips and tools for introducing and supervising technology within their homes and families.
This event is geared toward the parents of middle and high school students, as well as parents of children who will be entering middle school in the next few years. Please be advised that the presentation will contain mature content. Middle school and older youth are welcome.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge