Tuesday, November 6, 2012
In a collaborative community partnership, the Hood River County School District representatives will be speaking along with a panel of experts, addressing parent concerns about bullying and technology crimes affecting youth.
The panel will present two free workshops on Nov. 8, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Hood River Middle School in the Auditorium and Nov. 13, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Wy’East Middle School in the Performing Arts Center.
This task force was created in the fall of 2011 as a community response to the rise in technology-related incidents and crimes, as well as bullying.
During the 2010-2011 school year law enforcement, schools and the juvenile department saw an increase in incidents related to technology, specifically involving computers and cell phones.
The school district goal is to teach parents what to look for and how to effectively supervise the use of technology, in order to prevent youth from entering into the criminal justice system for technology related crimes.
Attendees will be presented with information regarding social networking; internet safety; technology related crimes; cyber bullying and cell phone safety. Parents will be given tips and tools for introducing and supervising technology within their homes and families.
This event is geared toward the parents of middle and high school students, as well as parents of children who will be entering middle school in the next few years. Please be advised that the presentation will contain mature content. Middle school and older youth are welcome.
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge