Tuesday, November 6, 2012
I think it was a lot easier being a father back in the good ol’ days, when all Dad had to do was come home from work, loosen his tie, take off his shoes, then sit back with a scotch and the afternoon paper until dinner was ready.
But it ain’t like that anymore.
Now you got ta be involved.
Kids give you problems you got ta solve.
It’s not easy being green,
it’s even harder being mean.
You got to scold ‘em,
‘n mold ‘em,
their laundry you got ta fold ‘em.
Can’t even get ‘em in the basket.
You tell ‘em do a task. It
ain’t getting done
without a forehead and a gun.
but you got ta ask ‘em pleasey.
Stay home from school just feelin’ sneezey.
Bein’ dad is just a breeze.
a two-pound bag of Cheetos.
why don’t I ever buy them Fritos.
Askin’ money for the dance,
you take a chance;
you’re finding ‘em
One minute you’re golden,
the next it’s like you’re holdin’
what the dog left in the grass.
give you sass;
you want to kick them in the.
You’re thinkin’ drugs and thugs
so you give ‘em lots of hugs.
But they’re older
squintin’ eyes that kinda smolder.
Just want to keep your kids alive,
then you teach ‘em how to drive
it ain’t far.
They want bling and things;
if it ain’t gold it ain’t a ring.
Thinkin’ money is funny,
dip their hand in like it’s honey.
You earn it,
they burn it,
you hope one day they’ll learn it
ain’t easy make a livin’
if all you do is give. In
the end, though, what you got
is two boys you love a lot.
Craig Danner is a novelist and a physician assistant who lives and works in Hood River. You can contact him at 541-436-4144 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge