Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Hood River Care Center held its annual free Halloween carnival and trick-or-treat event on Oct. 31. The Care Center opened its doors to the Hood River community and saw between 500-1,000 kids this year.
Over 150 gallons of candy were handed out by the staff and residents of Hood River Care Center in just two short hours. Kids enjoyed cupcakes, as well as carnival games and prizes; like the bean bag toss and the touchy feely table, in which kids put their hands blindly into what felt like brains and eyeballs!
This was the Care Center’s third straight year in hosting the event after a multiyear hiatus. Jenelle McCleary, director of admissions and marketing and organizer of the event, said “I am so proud that we are able to open our doors and provide such a wonderful safe Halloween event for those in our community. The residents just loved seeing all of the kids dressed up in their costumes and it is truly a great time for everyone.”
The Care Center’s next community event has already started as of Nov. 1.
“We are hosting a canned food drive in November to benefit FISH Food Bank.
“We wanted to find a way to help those in need before and during the holidays,” said McCleary.
Community members are encouraged to drop off their non-perishable food donations at Hood River Care Center, 729 Henderson Road, Hood River, at the donation site in the main lobby.
Donations will be accepted until Thursday, Nov. 30. Call Jenelle McCleary at 541-380-1656 with any questions.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge