Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Hood River Care Center held its annual free Halloween carnival and trick-or-treat event on Oct. 31. The Care Center opened its doors to the Hood River community and saw between 500-1,000 kids this year.
Over 150 gallons of candy were handed out by the staff and residents of Hood River Care Center in just two short hours. Kids enjoyed cupcakes, as well as carnival games and prizes; like the bean bag toss and the touchy feely table, in which kids put their hands blindly into what felt like brains and eyeballs!
This was the Care Center’s third straight year in hosting the event after a multiyear hiatus. Jenelle McCleary, director of admissions and marketing and organizer of the event, said “I am so proud that we are able to open our doors and provide such a wonderful safe Halloween event for those in our community. The residents just loved seeing all of the kids dressed up in their costumes and it is truly a great time for everyone.”
The Care Center’s next community event has already started as of Nov. 1.
“We are hosting a canned food drive in November to benefit FISH Food Bank.
“We wanted to find a way to help those in need before and during the holidays,” said McCleary.
Community members are encouraged to drop off their non-perishable food donations at Hood River Care Center, 729 Henderson Road, Hood River, at the donation site in the main lobby.
Donations will be accepted until Thursday, Nov. 30. Call Jenelle McCleary at 541-380-1656 with any questions.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge