Friday, November 9, 2012
The most competitive women in the Gorge invite the public to a “battle of the brains.”
The first pub trivia event with the Gorge Roller Girls will be Nov. 17 at Solera Brewery in Parkdale.
Anyone may participate; teams will be formed on site.
Proceeds will support the Gorge’s only skater-run Roller Derby league. Prizes will be awarded and there will be live music.
The event starts at 6 p.m., and the cost is $5 to play. The trivia will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Gorge Roller Girls are an expansion team of Rose City Rollers, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
For details, go to:
More like this story
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- Pet of the week: Dessa needs ‘room to use her hound nose’
- Letters to the editor for May 4
- ANOTHER VOICE: Passing countywide ordinance ‘is wrong’
- Yes to School Bond
- Going Solar: Amateur astronomer provides safe view of our nearest neighborhood star
- Yesteryears: Women challenged at the polls in 1916
- Sustainability Awards presented April 20
- Decker, Elzinga wed
- The Daily Bread: My Life in Dog Years
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge