Friday, November 9, 2012
The “feed the truck” campaign reached a milestone last week, with the naming of the Gorge Grown Food Network delivery and outreach Sprinter van.
“Pippin” won out over “Gracie” in voting among the 300 people who had each donated $1 to the naming vote.
Pippin replaces Gorge Grown’s original truck, which last summer delivered 5,000 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables to the Stevenson and Mosier Farmers’ Market.
Now, with the help of the new van, Gorge Grown will bring fresh produce to Moro in Sherman County, Celilo Village in Wasco County, and Odell in Hood River County, according to Todd Dierker of Gorge Grown.
He said the mobile market supports new farmers’ markets, and distributes locally grown produce to more isolated areas of the Gorge.
The $7,000 truck fund-raising goal is on-going. Gorge Grown is still selling advertising space on the side of the vehicle; five of the 10 spots are still available. Sponsors will be featured in vinyl lettering as a thank you.
Specific donations of $50 for wiper blades and $100 for a tank of gas are also accepted.
“Our new truck is much more fuel efficient than our old truck, but gas is still expensive,”” Dierker said.
Donations of $101 to $999 can be dedicated to paying for auto insurance, totaling about $1,300 per year.
Talk to Dierker at 541-399-2840 if you wish to donate.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge