Friday, November 9, 2012
The Hood River Middle school climbing wall will reopen next week after being resurfaced earlier this fall.
The wall will have a grand reopening ceremony Nov. 11 with a sponsor fun day from noon to 2 p.m., open climb for the public from 2-4 p.m. and a screening of a Warren Miller film in the school auditorium at 4:30 p.m.
Proceeds from previous films have gone to help the climbing wall project.
Tickets for the film are available at Doug’s Sports.
Hood River Community Education estimates that around 3,000 people have received instruction on the wall since it first opened.
Further donations to the climbing wall project will go to purchase new climbing holds for the wall.
Some of the users of the refurbashed wall will be the Gorge Grippers climbing club, which will start Dec. 2.
The Gorge Grippers will focus on introducing climbers to basic techniques that will help to make them better climbers, while also having fun and getting stronger in a more relaxed environment.
The program will be for children ages 5-11 and will meet on Sunday afternoons from 4-6 p.m at the climbing wall.
Cost $150, includes climbing shoes and a chalk bag and T-shirt. The cost is $100 for those who already have their own shoes and chalk. The cost includes a weekend trip finale at Smith Rock, April 6-7.
The Gorge Grippers is geared toward the kids who may or may not have climbed, but want to check it out further in a structured environment. Drills covering foot and hand techniques, instruction in body position and a basic approach to climbing will be what the team is focused on, all while having fun and reaching a higher level of physical fitness.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge