Friday, November 9, 2012
‘Hawks Madness’ Nov. 16
Horizon Christian School is hosting 2012 Hawks Basketball Madness on Friday, Nov. 16, at the school gymnasium.
Admission to the event is free. The first 100 spectators who bring two cans of food — as a donation to the local FISH food bank — will receive a commemorative T-shirt.
The event begins at 7 p.m. and the schedule includes: short scrimmage games by the high school varsity teams, including the Hawks’ boys team which won last year’s Class 1A state championship; mini games involving local grade school players; and three-point and other shooting contests for fans and players.
For information call the school at 541-387-3200.
‘Intro to wrestling camp’ begins Nov. 13
A five session Community Education Intro to Wrestling camp begins Nov. 13 and will run for five Tuesdays through Dec. 11. The camp will run from 6-7 p.m. each night at the HRVHS wrestling room. Previous camp participants are encouraged to attend as well as new participants to wrestling. This camp focuses on fun and fundamentals. Athletes will be split up by weight and age. Each participant will receive a T-shirt. Socks or wrestling shoes will be required. Goals include: have fun, teach basic championship technique, encourage exercise, teach sportsmanship on and off the mat. Parents are welcome to observe. The age limit is kindergarten through fifth-grade. Cost for the camp is $35.
More info may be found at tinyurl.com/wrestlehr
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge