Tuesday, November 13, 2012
The American Red Cross asks that you give special thanks and help save lives by donating blood during the month of November, a time when blood donations typically decline and need remains constant.
All eligible donors are asked to schedule an appointment to donate blood at Hood River Community Elks Lodge, Third and Cascade, on Friday, Nov. 23, from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. by calling Margo Parker, 541-387-3669 or schedule online at www.redcrossblood.org (code: hoodriver).
Many Americans will celebrate the Thanksgiving season by feasting on home-cooked meals and watching football games on TV. Some will even get an early start on holiday shopping before the month is over. With all that happening during the holiday season, it’s easy to forget there is a constant need for blood.
Blood products are routinely transfused to those with cancer and other diseases, premature babies, organ transplant recipients, and accident and trauma victims. There is no substitute for blood, it must come from healthy volunteer donors. And, since it takes about 48 hours to test and process collected blood, it must be on the shelves before it is needed in order to save lives.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge