Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Soroptimist International of Mt. Adams is hosting its eighth-annual pre-holiday “shopping extravaganza” on Saturday, Nov. 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Best Western Hood River Inn Gorge Room.
The event will feature Gorge and Portland area artisans exhibiting holiday gift items of jewelry, metal art, alpaca garments, pottery, glassware, paintings, cards and more.
“We’re excited to be back for our eighth year and really appreciate the artisans. Their beautiful items are just fantastic and made with such creativity and quality. Each year just keeps growing and getting better,” said Ginger Swanson, event coordinator.
The artisans also donate 10 percent of their sales, as well as items for a drawing at the end of the day, to Soroptimist of Mt. Adams.
More like this story
- Hood River County Reads celebrates its 10th anniversary — 11 years in
- Little free library idea
- Art of Community adds Soderberg-Greene work
- Bike Buddies reports successful weekend event
- Lion King Jr. comes to Wy'east Middle School
- YESTERYEARS: New skate park in planning stages in 1996
- Aubree Olmstead heads Columbia Basin facility
- Heart of Hospice notes Volunteer Appreciation Week
- County sets temporary rules on marijuana grows
- Puff Factory to break ground in Odell
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge