Tuesday, November 20, 2012
HOOD RIVER — Turtle Island Foods, home of the famous Tofurky, announced today that it would sponsor the first annual “Tofurky Trot” at Oaks Bottom Natural Area in Portland, Oregon, starting at 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 22. Participants are asked to bring non-perishable vegan food or donate $20 to an organization serving vegan food in New York City to those residents affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Runners will receive a free Tofurky Roast and Tofurky T-shirt at the completion of their 3.9 mile run/walk. President and founder Seth Tibbott plans to run the course wearing a large rendition of the iconic Tofurky Roast packaging.
“This is a great morning to get some exercise and support some great causes. Next year we hope to expand the Tofurky Trot to other US cities across the United States and Canada.”
The Tofurky Trot will start from the Refuge Parking lot just off the Milwaukie exit from SE Mclaughlin Avenue.
This year, the company sold the 3 millionth Tofurky Roast. And it’s not just vegetarians who are driving up Tofurky Roast sales so swiftly. According to the USDA, Americans will consume 12.5 percent less turkey meat than they did in 2008 and a 2011 Harris Poll commissioned by the Vegetarian Resource Group of Baltimore, MD., concluded that 17 percent of Americans now eat 50 percent of all their meals without meat.
Turtle Island also produces a variety of everyday Tofurky products including deli slices, gourmet sausages and a new line of vegan pizzas which can be found at over 12,000 natural food and grocery stores throughout the U.S. and Canada.
It is the largest producer of refrigerated deli slices and sausages in the world, according to industry sales reports. To keep up with this demand the company is nearing completion of a new LEED Certified, environmentally efficient Tofurky factory in Hood River which will come on line in the spring of 2013.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge