Friday, November 23, 2012
Now is the time to apply for the OSU/Hood River County Extension Service Master Gardener Program, one of the most popular volunteer programs in Oregon. Applications are available online at http://extension.oregonstate.edu/hoodriver/master_gardeners, or you can pick up an application at Hood River County Extension office located at 3005 Experiment Station Drive.
Applications are due by Dec. 14. The fee for the training and all materials is $150. Training begins Jan. 23 and is held on Wednesday evenings and every other Saturday. Volunteers receive 63 hours of intensive gardening education in exchange for 55 hours of volunteer time.
The Master Gardener curriculum provides the volunteer with information and references on subjects such as botany, entomology, plant diseases, integrated pest management and much more. Upon completion of the course, Master Gardeners volunteer their time as an Extension educator, in coordination with plans developed by Extension Faculty.
Master Gardeners conduct plant clinics, teach basic gardening classes for the community, have community projects and answer questions about all aspects of home gardening.
For more information contact Hood River County Extension office at 541-386-3343 or stop by at 3005 Experiment Station Drive.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge