Tuesday, November 27, 2012
The deadline for turning in applications for the Elks “Most Valuable Student” scholarship is 6 p.m. Dec. 7 at the Hood River Elks Lodge at the corner of Third Street and Cascade Avenue.
Students attending any accredited high school in Hood River County and those who are being home schooled are eligible.
The Elks Most Valuable Student is based on SAT/ACT scores, GPA, community service, honors and awards, employment, essay and financial need. Applicants are encouraged to complete their applications online; however, applications may be obtained by contacting the Hood River Valley High School counselors office, Hood River Elks Lodge or Linda Sanders, scholarship chairman, at 541-490-0709.
Scholarship awards start at $500 and go to $1,000 at the local level and up to $60,000 at the national level.
For more information or assistance, contact Linda Sanders at the number above.
More like this story
- Fun at the CGWA Beach Bash
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- How does July 4, 2016, Stack Up?
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge