Friday, November 30, 2012
Christmas is not always merry and the socially expected happiness is sometimes mingled with pain and tears.
On Friday, Dec. 21, the day with the most darkness and least light, Hood River Valley Christian Church will offer a safe place to bring grief and disappointment in a season of joy: Blue Christmas. For this service participants are encouraged to cry and alright to say aloud what lies heavy upon their hearts.
This special worship service begins at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited: those who are hurting and those who are willing to stand with them. Childcare will be provided.
‘Light up a Life’
at Anderson’s Tribute Center
The annual Light up a Life: Tree of Remembrance ceremony will be Dec. 13 at Anderson’s Tribute Center beginning at 6 p.m.
Attendees will receive an ornament to be placed on the Tree of Remembrance in memory of a loved one. Small photographs, mementos, poems or letters may be brought to place inside the ornament.
Craft materials will be supplied to personalize ornaments. The tree will be put up on Dec. 1; ornaments will remain on the tree throughout the holiday season and may be picked up in January.
The service is a joint effort between Anderson’s and Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge