Friday, November 30, 2012
Christmas is not always merry and the socially expected happiness is sometimes mingled with pain and tears.
On Friday, Dec. 21, the day with the most darkness and least light, Hood River Valley Christian Church will offer a safe place to bring grief and disappointment in a season of joy: Blue Christmas. For this service participants are encouraged to cry and alright to say aloud what lies heavy upon their hearts.
This special worship service begins at 7 p.m. Everyone is invited: those who are hurting and those who are willing to stand with them. Childcare will be provided.
‘Light up a Life’
at Anderson’s Tribute Center
The annual Light up a Life: Tree of Remembrance ceremony will be Dec. 13 at Anderson’s Tribute Center beginning at 6 p.m.
Attendees will receive an ornament to be placed on the Tree of Remembrance in memory of a loved one. Small photographs, mementos, poems or letters may be brought to place inside the ornament.
Craft materials will be supplied to personalize ornaments. The tree will be put up on Dec. 1; ornaments will remain on the tree throughout the holiday season and may be picked up in January.
The service is a joint effort between Anderson’s and Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital.
More like this story
- After a winless 2014 season, HRV girls team places third at state tournament
- HAHRC BEATS: November is Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Initiative: Mindfulness Center trains ‘Mental Health First Aid’
- Red Cross recommends iron-rich foods prior to blood donation
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 21
- Pitch and Pool: Kudos for fall success, and a look ahead
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Doing what it takes to be the ‘Finest’
- Overlapping ‘Pray for Snow’ parties happen Saturday
- Entertainment Update for Nov. 21
- B Gorge-us Boutique opens, shares space with Gandara
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge