Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Theresa Perry from Hood River is the regional Governor’s Volunteer Award winner in the Outstanding Adult Volunteer (age 19-54) category and Sandra Fritz is the regional winner, from The Dalles, in the Outstanding Senior Volunteer (age 55 or better) category.
Perry was honored for her work with Heart of Hospice Foundation in Hood River
The region includes Baker, Gilliam, Hood River, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco, and Wheeler counties. A nominee from each category in the region is selected as the winner.
When Perry, a longtime Heart of Hospice volunteer, was diagnosed with cancer, hospice staff expected her to discontinue her weekly visits. Remarkably, she instead put her new experiences to good use and was able to empathize with patients and their families on a much greater level.
Perry’s message of “I can still be a volunteer” not only demonstrated her dedication to providing comfort to and improving quality of life of Oregonians with terminal illnesses but inspired all those around her.
Sandra Fritz of the State of Oregon Citizen Review Board was also honored.
For 20 years, Fritz has served on the CRB, where she has made recommendations to the court regarding the health and safety of foster children in Hood River and Wasco counties.
In addition to countless hours of preparation time, Fritz has spent more than 600 hours in review meetings. Because of her outstanding commitment to service, she has positively affected the lives of 1,200 children.
In addition to her volunteer work for the CRB, Sandra has volunteered for children’s health fairs, where she uses her years of experience as a clinical and public health nurse to provide services such as health screenings, medical advice and referrals. Fritz’s dedication to health and child welfare has also led her to volunteer with the Red Cross Blood Mobile and the Association for the Care of Children’s Health.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge