Saturday, October 6, 2012
The Start Making A Reader Today program gets going again this month in three of the five elementary schools in the Hood River County School District.
Volunteer readers are always needed at each school, and the program is also seeking coordinators to oversee the programs at Westside and May Street schools.
The coordinator positions are themselves volunteer jobs, and require between 10-14 hours each week, including the time when students and adult readers are together, usually twice per week.
“I feel very strongly that we will have all of the programs in Hood River up and running well within the next few weeks,” said Paula Seid, SMART area coordinator.
Cascade Locks has two new co-coordinators, Andrea Slaughter and Holly Howell, and is scheduled to start Oct. 15. Parkdale will most likely open a couple of weeks later as new coordinator Sylvia Muro gets things organized.
At Mid Valley, veteran coordinator Jennifer Cassella will open the Mid Valley after-school program, but Seid is looking for a permanent coordinator at the school.
May Street and Westside’s past coordinator, Shaun Requa, is actively helping find coordinators at those schools, Seid said.
If you are interested in volunteering, or serving as coordinator, call Seid at 503-634-1614. Questions can also be directed to Kirby Neumann-Rea at 541-386-1234.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge