Friday, October 12, 2012
The Oregon Department of Forestry, The Dalles Unit, would like to remind everyone living or recreating in the Gorge that a burn ban and regulated use closure are still in effect. Although the recent weather has been cooler and may provide some precipitation, it has not been enough to significantly reduce fire danger. Below are most of the closures still in effect for ODF-protected lands:
n No debris burning of any kind. All burn permits are still suspended until further notice.
n Campfires are only allowed in Memmaloose and Viento State Parks, as well as Tucker and Toll Bridge county parks. All other campfires on ODF-protected lands are prohibited.
n Portable cooking stoves that use charcoal are prohibited. Stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels are allowed.
n All motor vehicles must stay on improved roads that are clear of flammable debris.
n Each vehicle traveling off of public roads must carry one 2.5-pound fire extinguisher or one gallon of water, as well as one shovel or one axe.
n Smoking is prohibited except in vehicles on roads.
n The non-industrial use of chain saws is prohibited between the hours of 1-8 p.m. Each saw must also have a fire extinguisher, shovel and axe. You must also observe a one-hour fire watch after the use of each saw.
All questions can be directed to the Oregon Department of Forestry office in The Dalles at 541-296-4626.
More like this story
- OSAA 5A SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS Late-game heroics by Lauren Decker, Hannah McNerney send HRV to the 5A quarterfinals
- Death Notices for May 27: Sharon Mills, Donna Schnell and Scott Zorza
- Service Announcements for May 27: Randy Van Woert and Thomas Ford
- Next Walking Tour June 5
- Lyle Pioneer Days return May 27
- CASA launches 2017 Playhouse Raffle
- YESTERYEARS: Ross, Daphne Hukari Animal Shelter opens in 2007
- ‘Guy, Guitar, Girl’: young actor seeks film support
- A ‘transforming gift’
- Author signing June 3 at HR Farmers’ Market
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge