Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge hosted its semi-annual pool party on Sunday, Sept. 30, at the Hood River Aquatic Center.
For the event, the Aquatic Center closed its doors to the public and was made available exclusively to program participants.
Approximately 50 program participants, composed of Bigs and Littles, from Hood River, Klickitat and Wasco counties, attended the event, where they splashed in the pool, swung from the rope swing and slid down the water slide without having to battle large crowds or long lines to do so.
Big Brothers Big Sisters, a program of The Next Door, provides children between the ages of 6 and 14 with one-on-one mentoring relationships with adult volunteers. More mentors are always needed, as there are children on a waiting list.
For more information, contact Justine Ziegler in Hood River and Klickitat counties at 541-490-9979 or Courtney Kendrick in Wasco County at 541-993-9022.
More like this story
- Appeals Court court affirms Hood River denial of Walmart expansion
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge