Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge hosted its semi-annual pool party on Sunday, Sept. 30, at the Hood River Aquatic Center.
For the event, the Aquatic Center closed its doors to the public and was made available exclusively to program participants.
Approximately 50 program participants, composed of Bigs and Littles, from Hood River, Klickitat and Wasco counties, attended the event, where they splashed in the pool, swung from the rope swing and slid down the water slide without having to battle large crowds or long lines to do so.
Big Brothers Big Sisters, a program of The Next Door, provides children between the ages of 6 and 14 with one-on-one mentoring relationships with adult volunteers. More mentors are always needed, as there are children on a waiting list.
For more information, contact Justine Ziegler in Hood River and Klickitat counties at 541-490-9979 or Courtney Kendrick in Wasco County at 541-993-9022.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge