Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Oregonians who have something to say about how fame, celebrity, infamy and pageantry shape American culture are invited to submit an essay or article for Oregon Humanities magazine’s spring 2013 issue on the theme “Spectacle.”
Contributors are encouraged to visit oregonhumani-ties.org to review the guidelines, download the complete call for submissions and familiarize themselves with the publication. No phone calls, please.
Submit a proposal or draft by Nov. 13 by email to email@example.com or post to Kathleen Holt, editor, Oregon Humanities magazine, 813 S.W. Alder St., Suite 702, Portland, OR 97205.
Oregon Humanities magazine, a triannual publication, welcomes all forms of nonfiction writing, including scholarly essays, journalistic articles and personal essays.
The magazine accepts proposals and drafts of scholarly and journalistic features, which generally range between 2,500 and 4,000 words in length.
It also accepts drafts only of personal essays that consider larger thematic questions in well-developed, nuanced ways; essay submissions should run no longer than 2,000 words. All contributors receive an honorarium. Currently the magazine is distributed to more than 12,000 readers.
Essays from Oregon Humanities have been reprinted in the Pushcart Prize anthology, Utne Reader and Best American Essays.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge