Tuesday, October 30, 2012
The Gallery 301 (Oak and Third) will be celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with unveiling of a special installation Friday, Nov. 2. Artists Nate Chavez and mEugene Mathes, with Tracy Klas, Lisa Peterson and Kelly Phipps contributing, have created a shrine and alter with new works of art celebrating the dead.
Unveiling at 7 p.m., candles provided by The Gallery for those wishing to remember a loved one. Costumes welcome; face painting, light snacks available. Come meet the artists for this cross-cultural event; all welcome.
Hood River County Library District
Leave a note of remembrance for a dead loved one at an altar at the Hood River Library, then come to a fiesta at the Parkdale Library Nov. 1, from 5-6:30 p.m.
Dia de los Muertos is a very old Mexican tradition in which people take time to remember family and friends who have died. Today, it is traditionally celebrated on Nov. 1, the day after All Hallow’s Eve (Halloween).
In recognition of this tradition, Kim Lindemyer has set up an altar in Library Lane at the Hood River Library. Anyone can leave a note remembering a loved one who has passed. The altar will be up through Nov. 1. All are welcome to help celebrate and remember the dead at a fiesta at Parkdale.
These programs are free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Library District at 541-386-2535.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge