Tuesday, October 30, 2012
City Christian ended Horizon Christian’s district soccer championship hopes Monday with a 5-3 overtime playoff win in Hood River.
The Hawks will now play for third place Friday evening at Hillsboro Stadium while City Christian will play for the district title.
Horizon, the District 5 regular season champion, took a 2-0 lead in the opening 30 minutes against City, but the Hawks (8-4-1) didn’t score again until two minutes remained in the second 10-minute overtime period. In between, the Hawks gave up a goal just before the half, and then a second in the waning moments of regulation to force extra time.
City and Horizon had split two matches during the regular season and the teams played to a 2-2 tie in regulation Monday.
Aman Mann gave Horizon a 1-0 lead 20 minutes into the match on an individual run that started near midfield and ended with a 20-yard goal from the right side. Mason Bloomster gave Horizon a 2-0 lead about 10 minutes later, when he headed home a Jared Davis crossing pass.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
- ‘Mayerdale Place’ program Oct. 21
- County continues marijuana hearings
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge