Tuesday, October 30, 2012
City Christian ended Horizon Christian’s district soccer championship hopes Monday with a 5-3 overtime playoff win in Hood River.
The Hawks will now play for third place Friday evening at Hillsboro Stadium while City Christian will play for the district title.
Horizon, the District 5 regular season champion, took a 2-0 lead in the opening 30 minutes against City, but the Hawks (8-4-1) didn’t score again until two minutes remained in the second 10-minute overtime period. In between, the Hawks gave up a goal just before the half, and then a second in the waning moments of regulation to force extra time.
City and Horizon had split two matches during the regular season and the teams played to a 2-2 tie in regulation Monday.
Aman Mann gave Horizon a 1-0 lead 20 minutes into the match on an individual run that started near midfield and ended with a 20-yard goal from the right side. Mason Bloomster gave Horizon a 2-0 lead about 10 minutes later, when he headed home a Jared Davis crossing pass.
More like this story
- Aporkalypse: Bacon contest fattens coffers at Helping Hands
- The Ale List: ‘Zwickelmania’ returns, Full Sail taps Wheatwine
- YESTERYEARS: DaKine, Pro Motion relocating to Hood River in 1986
- Cascade Observations: Sweetness of Winter
- Parenting program starts in Cascade Locks
- Second Saturday will be all about pilots
- Five Gorge wines earn medals
- Revenue steps up fraud, identity theft prevention
- Father of the Bride
- City, county support affordable housing bill