Tuesday, October 30, 2012
City Christian ended Horizon Christian’s district soccer championship hopes Monday with a 5-3 overtime playoff win in Hood River.
The Hawks will now play for third place Friday evening at Hillsboro Stadium while City Christian will play for the district title.
Horizon, the District 5 regular season champion, took a 2-0 lead in the opening 30 minutes against City, but the Hawks (8-4-1) didn’t score again until two minutes remained in the second 10-minute overtime period. In between, the Hawks gave up a goal just before the half, and then a second in the waning moments of regulation to force extra time.
City and Horizon had split two matches during the regular season and the teams played to a 2-2 tie in regulation Monday.
Aman Mann gave Horizon a 1-0 lead 20 minutes into the match on an individual run that started near midfield and ended with a 20-yard goal from the right side. Mason Bloomster gave Horizon a 2-0 lead about 10 minutes later, when he headed home a Jared Davis crossing pass.
More like this story
- Two escape from state corrections
- Sports briefs for Aug. 16
- Lost boy found safe near Parkdale
- YESTERYEARS: Hottest August day ever recorded in 1977
- Design for a legacy
- Pick of the Week: Jim Lommasson at CCA
- The mural and Nate Chavez
- Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 edition
- City of Hood River: Mayor asks Rep. Walden to ‘join our collective call’ on energy
- Power line fire doused Monday
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge