Tuesday, October 30, 2012
City Christian ended Horizon Christian’s district soccer championship hopes Monday with a 5-3 overtime playoff win in Hood River.
The Hawks will now play for third place Friday evening at Hillsboro Stadium while City Christian will play for the district title.
Horizon, the District 5 regular season champion, took a 2-0 lead in the opening 30 minutes against City, but the Hawks (8-4-1) didn’t score again until two minutes remained in the second 10-minute overtime period. In between, the Hawks gave up a goal just before the half, and then a second in the waning moments of regulation to force extra time.
City and Horizon had split two matches during the regular season and the teams played to a 2-2 tie in regulation Monday.
Aman Mann gave Horizon a 1-0 lead 20 minutes into the match on an individual run that started near midfield and ended with a 20-yard goal from the right side. Mason Bloomster gave Horizon a 2-0 lead about 10 minutes later, when he headed home a Jared Davis crossing pass.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Gorge Owned presents ‘Glacier Caves of the Pacific Northwest’
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge