Tuesday, October 30, 2012
A new service is being provided by Opportunity Connections that will help your employees offer better customer service to people with disabilities.
People with disabilities are your co-workers, customers and neighbors here in the Gorge. When a person with a disability comes into your place of business or organization, are your employees or volunteers comfortable communicating with that person?
If the answer is, “I’m not sure,” then this free one-hour training is just what you need to empower them to offer better customer service.
The training includes the fun and humorous video, “The Ten Commandments of Communicating with People with Disabilities,” which explains disability etiquette 101.
“There is a normal feeling of fear when approaching a customer with a disability that you will say something offensive,” says instructor Katie Maples. “This training can give anyone the confidence they need to speak up and make connections.
“It’s a win-win situation when we can experience diversity everywhere in our community,” said Maples, job developer with Opportunity Connections.
For details, call Maples at 541-38-0895 or 541-386-3520 to schedule a free training.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge