Wednesday, September 12, 2012
County Administrator David Meriwether is in the running for the Deschutes County Administrator position.
According to reports from KTVZ in Bend, Meriwether is a finalist for the position, which has been filled on an interim bases since August 2011, when Dave Kanner was fired.
Erik Cropp is the interim county administrator for Deschutes County.
Meriwether has served as county administrator in Hood River County since June of 2001, having previously worked as a city administrator for Silverton and in Arkansas.
Meriwether said he applied for the position because “it appears to be an excellent opportunity for both myself and my professional development and for my family.”
Meriwether said he is happy in Hood River and that applying for the Deschutes County position does not reflect any unhappiness in his current job.
“We’re very happy here and have been a part of this community for a lot of years,” he said.
n The County Commission had been scheduled to take up a discussion on the NORCOR funding measures reached by the NORCOR board last month, but Rivers and Meriwether said that some of the language and provisions for what would happen should a county encounter significant financial hardship not yet been formally agreed upon by the other counties. They were both concerned that cracks may be starting to show in the already fragile agreement. “Judge Crowley may want to go visit those folks because it could be the undoing of the resolution,” Rivers said.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge