Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Jane Price was born to Gay and Edith Howell in Esterville, Iowa, Nov. 14, 1919. She passed away Sept. 9, 2012.
Her parents named her Agnes Jane, but she wanted to be called Jane. She had four younger sisters, all of whom are still living: Stella Strode, Bernice Milbrandt, Lois Olson and Dorothy Malo. Her older brother, Merlyn, is deceased.
The family moved to Fairmont, Minn., when Jane was a small child. In early adulthood, Jane did housekeeping and worked for Railroad Motors building war materials.
Jane met her future husband, Lawrence Price, from Ansley, Neb., while he was in the Army. They corresponded during the rest of World War II, and then were married on Feb. 23, 1946, in Fairmont, Minn. They moved to Nebraska, then Fairmont, then back to Nebraska to farm. During that time, they had three sons: Larry, Terry and Dennis.
Lawrence accepted a job with Boeing in Kirkland, Wash., giving up the farm. A few years later the family moved to Odell, Ore. (in the Hood River Valley), where Lawrence worked for the school district, and Jane worked in fruit packing warehouses on the night shift.
After Lawrence retired in 1984 they moved to McMinnville. Lawrence died in 2003.
They were active members of the Odell United Methodist Church, then the McMinnville United Methodist Church.
Jane leaves her three sons and their wives: Larry and Naomi, in Prineville, Terry and Sue, in McMinnville, and Dennis and Maggie, in La Grande; and eight grandchildren (one grandchild has already died).
Private services will be held at Macy and Son on Sept. 12, followed by interment at Evergreen Memorial Park. Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice or Parkinson’s Foundation in care of Macy and Son, 135 N.E. Evans, McMinnville, OR 97128; 503-472-6151. To leave private online condolences, please visit www.macyandson.com.
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge