Saturday, September 15, 2012
Teams are better served not paying much attention to state rankings; but still, it’s hard not to get excited when youre team is at the top of the list.
That’s the tone for Hood River Valley High School varsity boys soccer squad (3-0), which picked up wins against Sandy and Franklin this week and is now atop the Oregon School Activities Association 5A state rankings.
The team traveld to Sandy Tuesday to face the Pioneers, who won their first two games 7-0 and 8-0.
Giovani Magana and Chris Cardenas had two goals apiece and Luis Morillo had two assists and a goal in the team’s 5-1 win.
Thursday’s home game against Franklin put the Eagles on their heels for the first real time this season. After taking a 2-0 lead in the first half by goals from Edgar Villegas and Fabian Munoz, a defensive lapse allowed Franklin to get back in the game with a goal early in the second half.
“In a way it was a good thing that they scored,” said coach Jaime Rivera. “Franklin is a really good team and I think we were getting a little overconfident. They made us work hard for the win, and that’s important because we face Lincoln next week and they’re one of the best 6A teams in the state.”
The team travels to Lincoln on Tuesday to face the Cardinals.
HRHVS varsity girls squad hosted Sandy and traveled to Franklin Thursday this week. The girls lost 0-3 Tuesday against the Pioneers and tied 2-2 Thursday against the Cardinals, with goals from Collete Zach and Sophie Grace.
The girls (0-2-1) host Tualatin (2-1-1) Tuesday, 4:30 p.m. at the Westside Elementary School fields.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge