Wednesday, September 19, 2012
News and notes to be aware of:
A string of violence in The Dalles continued yesterday morning with an-officer involved fatal shooting of a 50-year old man. (The Dalles Chronicle). The man who was shot, Gerald Arthur Stowell, was being interviewed by The Dalles City PD officers as a suspect in a rape when he approached the officers with a knife.
The shooting death follows two recent homicides in the city.
In Hood River, the air quality outside is not fantastic due to fires in Washington and Oregon, but it's not terrible. Oregon DEQ has air quality alerts in Bend and Sisters, but The Dalles, Hood River's nearest monitering station, reports acceptable air quality. (Oregon DEQ)
According to parents, the air quality may not be the only thing suffering in town. Several Mid-Valley Elementary parents voiced their concerns to the Hood River school board last week over crowding in first grade classrooms at the school. (Hood River News)
Finally, an example of what news organizations can do if they scrape under the sofa for some spare change to gives reporters and photographers the time and resources to put together a neat piece of journalism (The Oregonian)
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge