Saturday, September 22, 2012
Sept. 18 was iPad roll-out day at Mosier Middle School.
Anticipation was heavy as each of the students received their iPad, which will be used for in-class research, video making and presentations, typing of papers and be a substitute for textbooks, according to Principal Dave Sather.
Sather has goals of having each student create a short film with their iPad over specific academic subjects and to explore new course offerings.
“A normal hardbound textbook can easily cost you $80 to $120, but now we can buy, let’s say a Spanish textbook, for $14.99 and it has the audio and video files for greater depth — two students even want to try Chinese!” said Sather.
Sather, who is new from Alaska, used iPads in his former district.
“They were really invaluable in making films and for research.”
Several of the students are eager to explore these language textbooks and will be taking German and Chinese. Students were quick to start the exploring the different apps for zooming in on famous monuments.
Executive Director Carole Schmidt noted that “watching the excitement of the student’s receiving their iPads was remarkable. One student explained the solar system to me from an app he was using and was uncovering layers of new information with every swipe of his finger. He was devouring new knowledge as fast as he could read it. I’m thrilled we can bring this opportunity to our Mosier students.”
The iPads were paid for through the implementation grant for the Mosier Middle School, which is in its second year. Enrollment applications are still being accepted in grades 7-8.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge