Wednesday, September 26, 2012
The Northwest Classic brings many of the biggest and best running schools in Oregon to Lane Community College campus to face one another and get a preview of the state championship course. The 19th annual event brings dozens of teams from across the state for what is one of the biggest meets leading up to the Nov. 3 Oregon championships.
Hood River Valley High School runners entered the large school division (5A and 6A schools) which had a field of 178 varsity boys and 175 varsity girls.
“This was a fantastic experience for our kids,” said coach Kristen Uhler. “We are seeking out tough competition so we can be confident at the district level and place well at the state 5A meet. We are a young team and expect to continue to improve.”
Uhler said both boys and girls teams weren’t at full strength, with Sascha Bockius and Jessica DeHart out due to injury on the girls side and Miguel Cuevas and Jorge Cuevas absent from the varsity boys squad.
Top Eagle finishers are as follows:
43rd, Ricardo Castillo, 17:10
107th, Charlie Sutherland, 18:12
108th, Brodie Sutherland, 18:18
115th, Nils Engbersen, 18:30
120th, Justin Crosswhite, 18:35
130th Ben Dane, 18:44
170th Rafael Villegas, 20:01
21st, Grace Grim, 19:51
70th, Lauren Robinson, 21:37
86th, Denali Emmons, 21:56
90th, Lydia Gildehaus, 22:07
98th, Madison Freeman, 22:19
104th, Kailee McGeer, 22:29
Next up for the team is the Bridgette Nelson Invitational Friday at Sorosis Park in The Dalles, followed by the Nike Pre-Nationals Saturday at Portland International Raceway.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge