Wednesday, September 26, 2012
The Northwest Classic brings many of the biggest and best running schools in Oregon to Lane Community College campus to face one another and get a preview of the state championship course. The 19th annual event brings dozens of teams from across the state for what is one of the biggest meets leading up to the Nov. 3 Oregon championships.
Hood River Valley High School runners entered the large school division (5A and 6A schools) which had a field of 178 varsity boys and 175 varsity girls.
“This was a fantastic experience for our kids,” said coach Kristen Uhler. “We are seeking out tough competition so we can be confident at the district level and place well at the state 5A meet. We are a young team and expect to continue to improve.”
Uhler said both boys and girls teams weren’t at full strength, with Sascha Bockius and Jessica DeHart out due to injury on the girls side and Miguel Cuevas and Jorge Cuevas absent from the varsity boys squad.
Top Eagle finishers are as follows:
43rd, Ricardo Castillo, 17:10
107th, Charlie Sutherland, 18:12
108th, Brodie Sutherland, 18:18
115th, Nils Engbersen, 18:30
120th, Justin Crosswhite, 18:35
130th Ben Dane, 18:44
170th Rafael Villegas, 20:01
21st, Grace Grim, 19:51
70th, Lauren Robinson, 21:37
86th, Denali Emmons, 21:56
90th, Lydia Gildehaus, 22:07
98th, Madison Freeman, 22:19
104th, Kailee McGeer, 22:29
Next up for the team is the Bridgette Nelson Invitational Friday at Sorosis Park in The Dalles, followed by the Nike Pre-Nationals Saturday at Portland International Raceway.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge