Wednesday, September 26, 2012
The public is invited to the “White Salmon River Homecoming,” a community celebration of the river, on Sept. 29.
This celebration marks the return of the salmon and the beginning of the restoration process following the 2011 Condit Dam removal.
The event includes an opportunity to experience the river on a raft trip and hear updates on the removal of Condit Dam and subsequent restoration of the river. A community salmon bake dinner slated for the event is already sold out.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the celebration begins with $20 river floats for community members sponsored by Wet Planet Rafting and the outfitters of the White Salmon River.
The event continues in the afternoon when community members who pre-registered will share a salmon bake.
An invocation open to all will set off the afternoon ceremonies that run 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and will include information booths and an opportunity to celebrate with other community members.
The White Salmon River Homecoming is sponsored by Friends of the White Salmon River, Wet Planet Rafting, Yakama Nation and Mid-Columbia Fisheries Enhancement Group.
For information or to register for the community float trips, visit: whitesalmonriverhomecoming.eventbrite.com.
Parking for the afternoon event will be at Wet Planet in Husum, with shuttles offered at regular times throughout day.
More like this story
- Pet of the Week: Roxy is happy, friendly girl
- ‘Walk with Ease’ starts in September
- ‘Terrific Tale of Thumbelina’ Aug. 25 at Arts Center
- Police Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- ‘Wheels of Hope’ nominations sought
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 19
- EDITOR’S NOTEBOOK: Two guys, one contested parking space, two police officers: one wonders
- Church News: St. Mary’s holds retirement party for Rev. Maag
- FILL THE BOOT
- 4-H Results, 2017 Hood River County Fair
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge