Originally published September 27, 2012 at 12:19p.m., updated September 27, 2012 at 05:03p.m.
[Update 5 p.m. 9/27]: According to the Oregon Department of Forestry the fire has been contained. However, the Twin Tunnels trail between Hood River and Mosier remains closed as crews begin mopping up.
The Mile post 66 fire is continuing to burn between Hood River and Mosier.
The fire has grown to around 70 acres and is burning in steep terrain.
According to the Oregon Department of Forestry the fire is around 15 percent contained with over 100 personnel battling the blaze.
Several helicopters are assisting with water drops.
I-84 eastbound is now fully open after being limited to one lane. However, Oregon State Patrol and ODOT urge drivers to use caution as there is heavy smoke in the area. Parking alongside of the road to take pictures of the fire or firefighting operations is not advised.
The Hood River County health department has also issued a health advisory due to heavy smoke in the Hood River area, encouraging people to limit physical exertion and stay indoors, or where filtered air is available when possible.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
- ‘Mayerdale Place’ program Oct. 21
- County continues marijuana hearings
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge