Originally published September 27, 2012 at 12:19p.m., updated September 27, 2012 at 05:03p.m.
[Update 5 p.m. 9/27]: According to the Oregon Department of Forestry the fire has been contained. However, the Twin Tunnels trail between Hood River and Mosier remains closed as crews begin mopping up.
The Mile post 66 fire is continuing to burn between Hood River and Mosier.
The fire has grown to around 70 acres and is burning in steep terrain.
According to the Oregon Department of Forestry the fire is around 15 percent contained with over 100 personnel battling the blaze.
Several helicopters are assisting with water drops.
I-84 eastbound is now fully open after being limited to one lane. However, Oregon State Patrol and ODOT urge drivers to use caution as there is heavy smoke in the area. Parking alongside of the road to take pictures of the fire or firefighting operations is not advised.
The Hood River County health department has also issued a health advisory due to heavy smoke in the Hood River area, encouraging people to limit physical exertion and stay indoors, or where filtered air is available when possible.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge