Tuesday, April 2, 2013
CASCADE LOCKS — The town’s business district is about to undergo a major change, with a coffee shop and fish market both set to open this spring.
Brigham Fish Products is owned by Kim Brigham of Cascade Locks, a 1991 Cascade Locks High School graduate and member or the Warm Springs Tribe.
Brigham plans to open in June.
Jumpin’ Jack’s Java will open in May, according to owner Jackson Vanderpool of Stevenson.
“I’m hoping to get a soft opening before Memorial Day weekend,” he said.
Both are located on WaNaPa Drive, in the center of downtown, next to the post office, on former Port of Cascade Locks land.
Brigham will sell Columbia River salmon, steelhead, blueback and other products as well as ocean-caught crab, halibut and other seasonal products.
Vanderpool will open a 300-square-foot drive-through coffee stand, with some outdoor seating for those who want to stay and enjoy the dynamic view of the river and the peaks on the Oregon and Washington sides.
The Brighams now own their land, and Vanderpool’s purchase is in the process of being finalized.
Two more neighboring lots will be subdivided and developed shortly, said Gary Rains, economic development coordinator for the Port of Cascade Locks, which has sold the parcels.
Port Commission Chairman Jessie Groves and Mayor Tom Cramblett both participated in the May 21 groundbreaking event.
“I can’t say enough about Gary and Holly Howell of the Port staff who worked with the business owners to get this done,” Groves said.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge