Friday, April 5, 2013
Hood River Valley High School student Eric Hamada has been named as the first recipient of the Callas Trust Flight Scholarship, administered by the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum.
The inaugural year’s award totaling $2,750 comprises $2,000 from the Callas Trust, $500 from WAAAM and a complete private pilot training kit of books and materials ($250 value) from Classic Wings Aero Services at Ken Jernstedt Airfield/Hood River Airport.
The scholarship will be awarded each year to a local high school junior or senior selected for his/her interest in aviation and an intention to make aviation a career.
The Callas Trust has Oregon aviation roots: Guss and Georgette Callas founded General Airways after World War II. Callas saw a need and began flying fresh vegetables to Alaska from the home base in Portland then returning with fresh Alaska fish and crabs.
General Airways’ “Roseliner” is the subject of a permanent display at WAAAM, highlighting this aviation story.
Trustee Dale Harris, owner of Lavender Valley farm and nephew of the Callases, is a retired airline pilot himself.
Harris noted that, “Guss and Georgette loved everything about aviation and the business of flying, and we believe passing that passion on to the next generation by helping to pay for a bit towards a pilot’s license is the way to go.”
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge