Friday, April 5, 2013
Hood River Valley High School student Eric Hamada has been named as the first recipient of the Callas Trust Flight Scholarship, administered by the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum.
The inaugural year’s award totaling $2,750 comprises $2,000 from the Callas Trust, $500 from WAAAM and a complete private pilot training kit of books and materials ($250 value) from Classic Wings Aero Services at Ken Jernstedt Airfield/Hood River Airport.
The scholarship will be awarded each year to a local high school junior or senior selected for his/her interest in aviation and an intention to make aviation a career.
The Callas Trust has Oregon aviation roots: Guss and Georgette Callas founded General Airways after World War II. Callas saw a need and began flying fresh vegetables to Alaska from the home base in Portland then returning with fresh Alaska fish and crabs.
General Airways’ “Roseliner” is the subject of a permanent display at WAAAM, highlighting this aviation story.
Trustee Dale Harris, owner of Lavender Valley farm and nephew of the Callases, is a retired airline pilot himself.
Harris noted that, “Guss and Georgette loved everything about aviation and the business of flying, and we believe passing that passion on to the next generation by helping to pay for a bit towards a pilot’s license is the way to go.”
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge