Friday, April 5, 2013
Described as a celebration of hope, faith and woven histories of the people of the Great West, Romancing the West tells epic stories of native peoples, explorers and sagas of pioneers — a history that has spanned two centuries.
With an all-original score and music from every decade — from ragtime to rock anthems, an all-star lineup of recording artists will make history come alive. Featuring legendary Woodstock performer Melanie, award-winning duo Gypsy Soul and Christina & Sons of the Oregon Trail — along with a supporting 10-piece band of talented musicians and storytellers, Romancing the West will explore the times of the old frontier to today’s era through music and storytelling.
The Dalles Civic Auditorium, Saturday, April 6, 7 p.m.
Tickets are $25 at www.romancingthewest.org. Sponsored by the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, The Oregon Historical Society, and Travel Pendleton.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge