Friday, April 5, 2013
Performers from around the Gorge will present a night of theater, and dessert, on April 13, with a staged reading of the one-act play “Cell,” followed by dessert and discussion.
The event will be at 6 p.m., at Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ, in White Salmon.
A special performance of the HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe will complete the event.
The event is a fundraiser for Programs for Peaceful Living and is co-sponsored by Bethel UCC, United Methodist Church of White Salmon, HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe and Programs for Peaceful Living.
In a power-packed 30 minutes, “Cell” explores family, immigration, race and class.
The play is directed by Kathy Williams, a veteran member of CAST, the Hood River-based performing arts group.
“Cell” is written by Cassandra Medley, a recipient of National Endowment for the Arts and professor at Sarah Lawrence College of New York City.
The HAVEN Teen Troupe is a community-based performance arts program made up of high school students. The troupe will present a short scene related to dating violence, gender bias and sexual coercion.
HAVEN’s message is that empowered teens can make a difference by modeling healthy interactions and understanding the underlying issues that lead to sexual assault.
Certified staff is available 24/7 to work with individuals and families who are struggling with the effects of crime through advocacy, counseling, parent support and safety planning, as well as community outreach and education.
They have offices in White Salmon and Goldendale.
More like this story
- Cascade Locks brush fire contained
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near the Colubmia River in Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge