Friday, April 5, 2013
Performers from around the Gorge will present a night of theater, and dessert, on April 13, with a staged reading of the one-act play “Cell,” followed by dessert and discussion.
The event will be at 6 p.m., at Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ, in White Salmon.
A special performance of the HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe will complete the event.
The event is a fundraiser for Programs for Peaceful Living and is co-sponsored by Bethel UCC, United Methodist Church of White Salmon, HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe and Programs for Peaceful Living.
In a power-packed 30 minutes, “Cell” explores family, immigration, race and class.
The play is directed by Kathy Williams, a veteran member of CAST, the Hood River-based performing arts group.
“Cell” is written by Cassandra Medley, a recipient of National Endowment for the Arts and professor at Sarah Lawrence College of New York City.
The HAVEN Teen Troupe is a community-based performance arts program made up of high school students. The troupe will present a short scene related to dating violence, gender bias and sexual coercion.
HAVEN’s message is that empowered teens can make a difference by modeling healthy interactions and understanding the underlying issues that lead to sexual assault.
Certified staff is available 24/7 to work with individuals and families who are struggling with the effects of crime through advocacy, counseling, parent support and safety planning, as well as community outreach and education.
They have offices in White Salmon and Goldendale.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge