Friday, April 5, 2013
Performers from around the Gorge will present a night of theater, and dessert, on April 13, with a staged reading of the one-act play “Cell,” followed by dessert and discussion.
The event will be at 6 p.m., at Bethel Congregational United Church of Christ, in White Salmon.
A special performance of the HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe will complete the event.
The event is a fundraiser for Programs for Peaceful Living and is co-sponsored by Bethel UCC, United Methodist Church of White Salmon, HAVEN Teen Theatre Troupe and Programs for Peaceful Living.
In a power-packed 30 minutes, “Cell” explores family, immigration, race and class.
The play is directed by Kathy Williams, a veteran member of CAST, the Hood River-based performing arts group.
“Cell” is written by Cassandra Medley, a recipient of National Endowment for the Arts and professor at Sarah Lawrence College of New York City.
The HAVEN Teen Troupe is a community-based performance arts program made up of high school students. The troupe will present a short scene related to dating violence, gender bias and sexual coercion.
HAVEN’s message is that empowered teens can make a difference by modeling healthy interactions and understanding the underlying issues that lead to sexual assault.
Certified staff is available 24/7 to work with individuals and families who are struggling with the effects of crime through advocacy, counseling, parent support and safety planning, as well as community outreach and education.
They have offices in White Salmon and Goldendale.
More like this story
- Death announcements for Aug. 24: Elizabeth Jordan and Juanita Macdougall
- Public Records: Marriage permits, July 2016
- Pet of the Week: JellyBean is still waiting for his forever family
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 7 to 13
- Cemetery Tales tickets go on sale
- Concerts at Timberline, Oneonta tunnel part of 10-concert Noack series
- Parks District narrows director search to two
- Talking about bags
- Heat advisory and fire alerts form double dose of late-August caution
- ‘Un Dia de Teatro’ — a free dance, music, theater event
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge