Friday, April 5, 2013
Andrew’s Pizza and Skylight Theatre and Yum Yogurt represent dinner, a pint and dessert all under one roof.
Yum Yogurt opened Monday as an extension of the existing pizza restaurant and theater.
At Yum, self-servings of frozen yogurt — eight flavors and 39 toppings — are sold by the ounce. Customers can eat in or take it to go, including into the restaurant or theater, via the adjoining hallway.
“It just adds to the appeal of Oak Street and is a part of Andrew’s,” said Chris Ellison, manager of both businesses, which are owned by Andrew McElderry.
Hours are 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. (“We’re playing it by ear,” Ellison said), with longer hours this summer. A grand opening is planned in about a month.
Yum Yogurt replaces the former Quenett Winery tasting room. A few years back, the space was home to Yum Gallery — no relation to the new yogurt shop, just happy coincidence, according to Ellison.
Yogurt flavors include peanut butter, Red Velvet cake and dairy-free and sugar-free flavors such as strawberry-banana.
A “tart” yogurt will appeal to those who enjoy Greek-style yogurt, according to Ellison.
“It’s the ‘adult flavor,’” he said. “The nice, clean taste when you put some fresh fruit on top — it just bursts out.”
Toppings include candy, cereal and cookie crumbs, as well as fresh fruit and syrups, and chewy rice candy known as “mochi.”
On the first day of business, Ellison gave away free samples to people in neighboring offices and businesses.
Among those was Bill Weiler, who came in from around the corner at Gorge Ecology Insitute Wednesday and bought a cup of yogurt.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge